Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Does anyone have a camera????

You know the moment - its happened to all of us, you see the shot, its perfect, it feels like a Pulitzer prize winning moment and yet you don't have your camera on you, you miss the moment and life moves on.

As a photographer there's nothing more frustrating than missing the shot, knowing it was the one great image for the day - and its gone , never to be reclaimed again. I still have all those moments I missed stored in my head - usually I'm driving and cant stop, or someone else is driving & wont stop and its like slow motion as I cruise past - I can her my imaginary shutter clicking - snap snap snap and the shots unfold before my eyes only to disappear. And a feeling of utter helplessness enfolds you.

I still think about Antigua - As we drove past I saw local children singing on the steps of the school house in matching dresses - I can hear their voices and laughter to this day . I still see my friend throwing her head back in utter joy & laughter on her wedding day - me unable to capture that perfect moment of happiness as I was holding another friend's baby.

These ghost images haunt me and my work - It makes me vow to never be without a camera again, until I forget my vow and then I miss another great shot. And so the process begins again, and another great shot is committed to a dwindling memory....

No comments:

Post a Comment